Saturday, February 6, 2010

11 2009 albums

These are the albums I bought in 2009 from 2009, and what I thought of them. In order from best to worst.

1. Mumford & Sons – Sigh No More (9.5/10)
I have no idea how this band manages to do what they do to me. This album is absolutely fantastic from start to finish with it’s beautiful honest lyrics, great melodies completed with a banjo. Can’t wait to see what they come out with next.
Favourite songs: The Cave, Dustbowl Dance, Roll Away Your Stone, Little Lion Man, Awake My Soul, the whole flipping album.

2. Muse – The Resistance (9/10)
Every single track on this album reminds you of how great these musicians are. This is really just as good as their previous album Black Holes and Revelations, which is a lot to achieve in itself. The Exogenesis Symphony is made of so much win.
Favourite Songs: Unnatural Selection, Uprising, The Exogenesis Symphony

3. Owl City – Ocean Eyes (8.5/10)
Took me a while to get into Owl City, but it seemed I finally saw what was great in him at about the same time mainstream did. His songs are cute and deep, simple and catchy.
Favourite Songs: Meteor Shower, Bird and the Worm, Fireflies.

4. David Crowder*Band – Church Music (8.5/10)
Best worship album since, to be honest, David Crowder’s A Collision. In fact, it’s probably better. Apparently it simultaneously tells the history of church music. The experience you get from immersing yourself in this album is just great.
Favourite Songs: Gold Almighty, None Compares; Oh, Happiness!; How He Loves; The Nearness; The Veil

5. Art Vs Science – EP (8/10)
Seriously so much fun. I cannot wait to see these guys live. Unfortunately this is just an EP and only has five songs. It just leaves you wanting more. If their first album is as good as this one, watch out world.
Favourite Song: Parlez Vous Francias?, Flippers, Hollywood.

6. Relient K – Forget And Not Slow Down (8/10)
They have a new sound, and while I like it I do also miss their pop-punk roots. But nevertheless, this is a great rock album and I think This Is The End (If You Want It) actually made me cry on first listen. A huge step up from Five Score and Seven Years Ago, but not surpassing Mmhmm.
Favourite Songs: Sahara, Candlelight, Part of It, I Don’t Need A Soul.

7. Paramore – Brand New Eyes (7/10)
I get a lot of enjoyment out of this album, which surprises me. Didn’t really think of myself as a fan. Only complaint is that the songs all end up sounding the same. And that’s not because I haven’t listened to it enough to distinguish the songs, it’s because they all sound the same. =P
Favourite Songs: Careful, Ignorance, Playing God, Brick by Boring Brick.

8. Powderfinger – Golden Rule (6.5/10)
A good effort from the Finger, much better than Dream Days at the Hotel Existence. But it isn’t great like Vulture Street or Odyssey Number 5. I still listen to those two albums more than this one.
Favourite Songs: All of the Dreamers, A Fight About Money, Jewel.

9. Jars of Clay – The Long Fall Back To Earth (6/10)
I wouldn’t say I’m losing faith in Jars of Clay, nor that they’re losing touch even. But what I like about Jars of Clay is no longer there. I like the beautiful poetic lyrics that are brutally honest. Take Worlds Apart, Frail or This Road as great examples. The album has a bunch of good songs, but it’s probably my least favourite from them.
Favourite Songs: Closer, Heart, Boys (Lesson One), Hero.

10. Evermore – Truth of the World: Welcome to the Show (5/10)
A great concept for an album, it’s all about mass media and propaganda and all that. But unfortunately the songs are just quite weak. Some are really catchy but the novelty does wear off. It only really works if you listen to the whole album, and when I try to do that now I just find myself getting bored of it.
Favourite Songs: Hey Boys and Girls (Truth of the World, Pt 2), Everybody’s Doing It, Between The Lines.

11. Rob Thomas – Cradlesong (4.5/10)
I expect so much more from Rob Thomas to be honest than what’s on this album. I absolutely love his work with Matchbox Twenty but apparently he can’t follow suit by himself. Some of the songs are good, but the whole album is just missing something. It’s pretty personal, maybe I just can’t relate to the album.
Favourite Songs: Her Diamonds, Mockingbird.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Firstly, it's good to know you're still good and kickin'

Secondly, your reviews are going to make me check a few of these guys out a lot more. Art Vs Science and Relient K are two bands I only just sort of discovered, and so I'm going to definitely check them out on your recommendation!

Peace, Mitto.

Jiro~